AMTA-LA Chapter Board Member Responsibilities
Chapter Board Member will assist the Chapter President in achieving Chapter goals and
implementing decisions made by the Chapter Board.
In addition to being a Professional member in good standing and signing the Chapter Volunteer Code of Conduct, she/he must meet the following requirement:
• Completed one year of AMTA membership.
The authority of a Chapter Board Member is conferred by the Chapter membership through election, and as specified in National AMTA Bylaws and Policy.
Chapter Board Member is accountable to the Chapter Board, Chapter members and AMTA
National Board of Directors by virtue of election. Chapter Board Member agrees to uphold and abide by the Chapter Volunteer Code of Conduct.
Term of Office
One Chapter Board Member shall be elected every odd year for a term of two years or until a successor is elected. One Chapter Board member shall be elected every even year for a term of two years or until a successor is elected.
Chapter Board Member work most closely with Chapter Board members and appointees, and National AMTA staff. Chapter Board Member also communicates with Chapter members, the Chapter Relations Committee, and/or other National volunteers, as appropriate.
1. Is a voting member of the Chapter Board and is familiar with Robert’s Rules of Order.
2. Accepts responsibilities for Chapter/Association assignments as delegated by the Chapter President.
3. May temporarily assume the responsibilities of vacant volunteer positions while working with the President, the Chapter Relations Committee and staff to fill the vacancy.
4. Shall not be the Chair of more than two (2) committees, sub-committees, special committees or workgroups.
5. Attends Chapter Board, Chapter membership, and any Chapter committee meetings for
which the Chapter Board Member has responsibility.
6. Identifies, cultivates and recruits future Chapter leaders.
7. Makes recommendations to the Chapter President for committee appointments.
8. Directs and refers members to appropriate volunteer and staff contacts as applicable.
9. Is available to receive direct feedback from members for input to the Chapter Board, and to communicate appropriate information regarding actions of the Chapter Board.
10. Maintains communication with Chapter membership through regular reports, and reports at Chapter membership and Chapter Board meetings.
11. Fulfills the fiduciary, due diligence, and other responsibilities of Chapter Board members as described in Chapter Volunteer Code of Conduct.
12. Maintains orderly records of activities and timelines relevant to her/his position during their term and supplies the incoming Chapter Board Member with those records to ensure a smooth transition.
The time commitment averages approximately 5 – 8 hours per week, depending on Chapter activities. The time commitment may be higher before and/or during certain Chapter events or actions.
A vacancy in the Chapter Board Member position will be filled according to AMTA Bylaws and Policy.
Removal from Office
An officer may be removed from office for failure to:
1. Fulfill her/his duties and responsibilities (dereliction of duties).
2. Abide by Chapter Volunteer Code of Conduct.
3. Keep AMTA membership dues current.
Removal shall occur upon recommendation from a Chapter Board member with a two-thirds vote of the entire Chapter Board. The National Office must be contacted prior to Chapter Board voting on removal of a volunteer.
Approved via National Board Motion #1206:94 1
Updated: Motion: #1016:44
Position Title: Chapter Board Member
Past Board Members
2016 – 2018