Government Relations Committee Chair Application
Government Relations Committee Chair
The Government Relations Committee is responsible for monitoring legislation that might influence the scope and practice of massage therapy in the State of Louisiana. When directed by the Chapter Board, the Committee leads all efforts to affect legislation.
Responsibilities of the Chair
- Act as the liaison to the Chapter Board of Directors and Chapter members regarding all legislative issues in the state related to massage therapy.
- Maintains close contact with legislative consultants, National Government Relations, and lobbyists contracted by the Board and informs the Board of all relevant information.
- Informs the membership via the Chapter newsletter and meetings of legislative activities.
- Represents the Chapter in state regulatory initiatives and/or government regulation issues, when directed by the Chapter Board.
- Maintains database of all legislative action volunteers and coordinates efforts to affect a positive outcome of legislative initiatives.
- Assumes the responsibility for any Government Relations Assistance Program grant applications, as directed by the Board of Directors. Legislative and Legal Education, Advocacy and Defense (LLEAD) Fund.
- Researches and compiles historical information regarding massage therapy and legislation in the state.
- Stays fully informed of massage therapy related legislative activity in other states.
- Coordinates legislative awareness activities and provides appropriate background and training for Chapter volunteers involved in the effort.
- Serves as liaison to state or area coalitions of massage therapy/bodywork groups.
- Ensures that all coalition members are fully informed during active legislative periods.
- Stays current with all Government Relations Committee materials, forms and policies of AMTA National.
- Finally, the Government Relations Chair treats relationships and communications associated with this position with care and professionalism, recognizing that they are sensitive in nature; often involving strict time frames and can ultimately affect the entire profession in the State of Louisiana.
- To attend CE classes at state convention at a lesser fee or at no cost, must meet the required chapter participation as set forth in policy for attending meetings and outreach events.
- Provide a written report to be published in Louisiana Touchon and Chapter Website to inform members of any issues arising in the legislature that affects massage therapy.
- Submit proposed budget to Financial Administrator before Annual Budget meeting. Seek and obtain approval of expenses to be covered by budgeted Chapter funds.
- Seek and obtain approval from the Board of Directors for all activities to be done under the name of the AMTA-LA Chapter.
- Failure to follow these responsibilities will lead to termination of the Chair Position or non-reimbursement of expenses incurred.
Must be a professional member in good standing and sign Chapter Volunteer Code of Conduct.
Term of Service
This is an appointed position for a term of one (1) year or until a successor is appointed.
This position functions as prescribed by the Chapter Board and has no general authority to commit AMTA funds.
The Government Relations Chair is accountable to the Chapter Board by appointment and reports to the Chapter President and the National Government Relations Chair.
Vacancy & Succession
A vacancy may be filled by appointment by the Chapter President with the approval of the Chapter Board at any Board, Chapter, or special meeting.
Removal from Service
The Government Relations Chair shall automatically be disqualified to serve if dues for the current year are not paid; the individual holds an office, directorship or chair ship concurrently in another massage organization where there may be a conflict of interest with AMTA or for failure to perform required duties.
Current & Past Government Relations Committee Chair
2016 – 2018
Melissa Pearson Dobson